After writing my post "The Positive Power of Music" the other day, I received some requests for a soundtrack to accompany the post. Since I wasn't quite sure where to begin, I took a look back to an interview I did with The Sassy Minx a few months ago (click the link to read the interview). In the interview, the sassy Miss Lisa asked, "What tunes would be on a PP soundtrack?" I remember receiving this question and being overjoyed. I love soundtracks so the thought of creating my own was amazing. But then I was surprisingly stumped when I realized that the soundtrack for my life wouldn't necessarily be the soundtrack for my blog. After all, up until the beginning of the year, I'd been living under quite a dark cloud of sadness and self pity. A lot of the songs I loved (and still love) wouldn't be fitting for a PP soundtrack. That sassy minx Lisa, by asking her question in the interview, nudged me to open up my iTunes and really think about what a PP soundtrack would be like. I created a blank playlist titled "Happy!" and got to work. I was pretty proud of the happy, positive playlist I came up with for the interview with The Sassy Minx and to it I've added a few tracks. I probably could have gone on and on with all of the songs I love and created a hundred song playlist but I thought twenty-five was a nice number (and fitting too since, after all, I am twenty-five). I really do believe that it's necessary to have both the negative and the positive in life, but, in this playlist I chose to focus on the most uplifting, inspiring, happy songs I could find. I hope you get a chance to check out some of these artists and their amazing songs.
Below you will find the Positively Present soundtrack, a collection of tunes that really speaks to me about being positive and looking for the good in almost any situation. Being positive and doing my best to live in the present moment isn't always easy and these are some of the songs I turn to when I'm feeling like giving up or giving in. In addition to listening the title and artists, I've provided links to their sites so you can learn more about them (or find their songs if you're interested in hearing them). I've also provided some of my favorite lyrics from each song. In some cases, those lyrics are the ones that keep me smiling. In other cases, those lyrics are only snippets of all of the wonderful words in the song. For many of these songs, it was hard for me to pick just a few lines since so many were magical, but I did my best to narrow it down to my favorite words. Words, after all, are my happy sounds. I hope you enjoy!
1. "Always Love" Nada Surf -- "To make a mountain of your life/Is just a choice/I never learned enough/To listen to the voice that told me/Always love/Hate will get you every time"
2. "Under That Cloud" Adrienne Pierce -- "I used to watch all the dark clouds form/I used to be drawn to that storm/Now I am never going back/Never going back under that cloud"
3. "Steer" Missy Higgins -- "The search ends here/Where the night is totally clear/And your heart is fierce/So now you finally know/You can control where you go/You can steer"
4. "Love Love Love" Tristan Prettyman -- "This life is a beautiful one/And though I’ve seen it comin’ undone/I know most definitely/That it all works out the way it’s meant to be"
5. "Goodbye Alice in Wonderland" Jewel -- "Truth is stranger than fiction/This is my chance to get it right/Life is so much better without all of those pretty lies"
6. "Sweet Silver Lining" Kate Voegele -- "I may be weak/But I’m never defeated/And I’ll keep believing/In clouds with that sweet silver lining"
7. "Let Go" Frou Frou -- "Let go, jump in/Whatcha waiting for?/It’s alright ‘cause there’s beauty in the breakdown/So let go, just get in/Oh, it’s so amazing here/It’s alright ‘cause there’s beauty in the breakdown"
8. "Pig" Dave Matthews Band -- "I’m saying open up/And let the rain come pouring in/ Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come/While you’re dancing on the ground don’t think of when you’re gone/Love, love -– what more is there?"
9. "Nolita Fairytale" Vanessa Carlton -- "I walk the streets with a song in my head/We ebb and we flow so/Got my toes and my pup at the foot of my bead/The heart always seems to know/Take the glitz back/I want the soul instead/’Cause I’ve found some kinda fairytale"
10. "Pony (It’s OK)" Erin McCarley -- "You deserve a smile with no regret/Oh, look at you, kicking off your shoes/Dancing for the world to see/You got the power to believe/Open up and sing and go be free and fly away"
11. "The Resolution" Jack’s Mannequin -- "There’s a lot that I don’t know/There’s a lot that I’m still learning/But I think I’m letting go/To find my body; it’s still burning"
12. "Silver Lining" Rilo Kiley -- "And I was your silver lining/As the story goes/I was your silver lining/But now I’m gold/Hooray, hooray, I’m your silver lining/Hooray, hooray, but now I’m gold"
13. "Snow (Hey Oh)" Red Hot Chili Peppers -- "When it’s killing me, what do I really need?/All I need is to look inside/Hey, oh, listen to what I say/Come back and listen to what I say/The more I see, the less I know/The more I like to let it go"
14. "This Is My Now" Jordon Sparks -- "I am made of more than my yesterdays/This is my now and I am breathing in the moment/As I look around/I can’t believe the love I see/My fears behind me/Gone are the shadows and doubt/This is my now"
15. "Least Complicated" Indigo Girls -- "So what makes me think I could start clean-slated?/The hardest to learn was the least complicated/I’m just a mirror of a mirror of myself/All the things that I do/The next time I fall/I’m gonna have to recall/It isn’t love/It’s only something new"
16. "Half-Assed" Ani DiFranco -- "Just show me a moment that is mine/It’s beauty blinding and unsurpassed/Make me forget every moment that went by/That left me so half-hearted/'Cause I felt it so half-assed"
17. "Dashboard" Modest Mouse -- "Well, it could’ve been, should’ve been, worse than you would ever know/Oh, the dashboard melted but we still have the radio/it could’ve been, should’ve been, worse than it had even gone/Well, the car was on block, but I was already where I want"
18. "Fingerprints" Katy Perry -- "Don’t give up/Don’t give in/Build your house on the rock/Not in the sand, in the sand, in the sand/It’s my life and I’m not sitting on the sidelines watching/It pass me by/Gotta make my mark/Gotta run it hard/I want you to remember me"
19. "I Will Be Grateful For This Day..." Bright Eyes -- "So I am writing my own ending/I let my pen bleed black or blue/And I will color in the meaning/It will be gold and green and true/And I'll learn to love my new discovered proof/I'll be grateful for this day/I will be grateful for each day to come"
20. "Whatever It Is" Ben Lee -- "And you're dreaming, and you're dreaming, and you're dreaming/I turn to you and say,'Awake is the new sleep, awake is the new sleep/So wake up. And do it, whatever it is. Just do it, whatever it is'"
21. "What Are You Waiting For?" Gwen Stefani -- "Naturally, I'm worried if I do it alone/Who really cares, causes it's your life/You never know it could be great/Take a chance cause you might grow"
22. "Imperfect Is the New Perfect" Caitlin Crosby -- "I don't wanna look like you because you're too perfect/And i don't wanna fill your shoes because it's not worth it/Don't fit the mold, I am real/too colorful to conceal"
23. "Don't Panic" Coldplay -- "We live in a beautiful world. Oh, all that I know/There's nothing here to run from/And there, everybody here's got somebody to lean on"
24. "Happy" Natasha Bedingfield -- "Got my dreams, got my life, got my love/Got my friends, got the sunshine above/Why am I making this hard on myself/When there's so many beautiful reasons I have to be happy"
25. "A Praise Chorus" Jimmy Eat World -- "Things are never gonna be the way you want/Where's it gonna get you, acting serious?/Things are never gonna be quite what you want/Even at 25, you've gotta start sometime"
Thanks for checking out the Positively Present playlist. If you want to listen to the songs right now, check out Positively Present on Blip. I enjoyed doing this so much that I may post playlists periodically. Thinking about music and lyrics is one of my favorite things to do (if you haven't noticed from the way I use music in almost all of my posts!) so this was a joy of a task for me to take on. As much as I love sharing my music with others, I also love hearing about music too. Old songs, new songs, favorite songs -- I love to hear what other people are listening to. So, I bet you know what my questions of the day are going to be now, don't you?
What songs would be on your soundtrack?
What are some of your all-time favorite songs?