This article is part of a series of articles to promote Stay Positive: Daily Reminders from Positively Present. For more information on the book, visit StayPositive365.com. For details on how to win this week’s giveaway, scroll down to the bottom of this article.
When it comes to living a positive life, loving oneself is critical. If you don't love who you are, it becomes increasingly difficult to love your life. But self love isn't always easy. In fact, for most people it's one of the most difficult aspects of living a positive life. Why? Because one of the trickiest things about loving yourself is actually being yourself.
We're all up against a lot of pressure to be different from what we are. Advertising, media, and those we interact with often encourage us (directly or indirectly) to be something we're not, to strive for ideals that we might not even want to strive for. Many of us look at others and wonder how we can be more like them. While it's perfectly fine to be inspired by others and to have role models, one of the best ways to love who you are is to be who you are.
Being yourself sounds simple enough -- almost as if it's something you couldn't help but do -- but often it's harder to be you than you might think. For some, staying true to who they are comes easily and effortlessly. For others, it's more of a struggle. Either way, it's important to check in with yourself every now and then to see if you're staying true to you. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to assess whether or not you're really being you.
- Do you say what you want to say when you want to say it?
- Do you wear the items that make you happy and comfortable?
- Do you stick up for what you believe in (even if others don't agree)?
- Do you take part in activities that make you happy and fulfilled?
- Do you spend time with those with whom you can be 100% yourself?
- Do you know what's important to you--and make time for those things?
- Do you state your opinions even if they oppose someone else's?
Being true to who you are means saying what you think, doing what you love to do, and being with the people who inspire and uplift you. Of course, that doesn't mean you should always do what you want and say what you want. Sometimes being true to who you are means putting other people first. Sometimes it means keeping your mouth shut when you have something to say. But most of the time it means not being afraid to do what you want and say what you have to say. Most of the time it means knowing what you think -- and not being afraid to show it or say it.
Kurt Cobain once said, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not." While that statement might be a bit strong for some, the underlying message should ring true for all of us: it's better to be true to who you are than to be true to who someone else wants you to be.
STAY POSITIVE GIVEAWAYS!
To promote the launch of Stay Positive : Daily Reminders from Positively Present, PositivelyPresent.com is offering six weeks of giveaways based on the twelve sections in Stay Positive. Each week, readers will have the chance to win one of two awesome giveways.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Link to StayPositive365.com on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr,
Instagram, Google+,etc. and / or tell your friends about the book
2. Mention which giveaway you want to win (Self Love or Motivation)
3. Let me know how you spread the word in the comments section below
4. Leave your email address (or another way I can contact you)
* Every mention you post / tweet / like, etc. counts as one entry.
Enter as many times as you want!
* 2 winners (one for each giveaway) will be chosen + notified via email on
Friday, November 2, 2012.