Lately I've been under way more stress than usual. I'm dealing with a break-up, I'm soon going to be moving to a new apartment, and I've recently gotten a lot more on my plate work-wise (a good thing, but definitely doesn't help the stress level!). Stress really gets in the way of living a positively present life so I've been doing the best I can to combat the stress I've been feeling with tactics I've tried in the past and new ones that I've recently read or heard about.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've given all of these a try and have found them to be really helpful in removing (or at least distracting me from) the stress in my life. In particular, I've found the following to be really great at relieving stress: laughing (I've been watching The Big Bang Theory non-stop!), hanging out with friends, and yoga (which completely takes my mind off of stress because it's so hard that I have to dedicate my full attention to it or else I'll fall over!). That being said, I've given all of these a try and they truly help combat that nasty little demon known as stress, making it easier to stay positive in the present.
If you're having a hard day (...or week ... or month), give some of these tactics a try and see if they help relieve your stress. In particular, try to do one or two of them that you've never tried before. In trying out new stress-relieving tricks, I was able to discover new (and sometimes better!) ways to ease the whirring worries in my mind, and hopefully the same will happen for you too!
- Take lots of deep breaths (cliche, but it works!)
- Get a lil' crafty (find ideas on Pinterest)
- Watch your favorite comedy movie or show
- Avoid checking your phone for one hour
- Give yoga a try (it's helped me so much!)
- Sit in complete silence for 5-10 minutes
- Treat yourself to a soothing hand massage
- Do something you've never done before
- Indulge in a bubble bath and a good book
- Take a day-long staycation and do nothing
- Sip on some soothing hot (or iced) green tea
- Cuddle with a cute animal (like Barkley!)
- Have a crazy dance party by yourself
- Pamper yourself with mani/pedi or facial
- Give Progressive Muscle Relaxation a go
- Do a mind-absorbing crossword puzzle
- Look at photos of cute baby animals
- Listen to a playlist of your favorite songs
- Go for a walk in nature without your phone
- Inhale relaxing scents (like lavender)
- Call, text, or email your best friend
- Spend an afternoon being super lazy
- List 100 things you're grateful for
One can never have too many stress-relieving tips or tricks, I say! So what do you do when you're stressed out and can't seem to stop your mind from wandering back to the past or worrying about the future? Any additional ideas for keeping it positive and cutting down on the stress? I'd love to hear about them in the comments section below!
Another great way to de-stress is to reconnect with yourself and gain a better understanding of who you are. You can discover more about yourself and what matters to you by downloading a copy of Finding Yourself: A Soul-Searching Workbook for Surprising Self Discovery. Filled with inspiration, questions, and activities to get you thinking about what it means to be you, Finding Yourself is a must for learning more about who you are and about what matters most to you. Learn more about the workbook here and purchase your very own soul-searching copy here.