Back in the day -- long before I even knew about the concept of positivity -- I learned the phrase: "April showers bring May flowers." I always thought of it as a silly thing my mom would say, one of the sayings she'd plucked from her Irish background and sprinkled almost daily in my life. For a long time I ignored this cheery saying, thinking it was just a way to excuse the mood-altering rain that always seemed to find its way into my life during the fourth month of the year. But, the more I think about, the more I realize how important this saying is -- and how further it goes past storm clouds and budding blossoms.
When you're going through a tough time, usually the last thing you want to think about is the good time to come. When faced with unhappiness or negative emotions, it can be hard to see through the rain clouds to a time when sunshine will once again brighten your life. However, looking past those clouds to a brighter, better day is exactly what you need to do when times are tough. I used to be irritated by the notion that, when things are tough, they'll someday get better, but having been through some really tough storms and arriving in a place of sunshine, I know all too well how important focusing on the positive can be.
Below are some of the reasons why it really does benefit you to celebrate the showers (and storms) in your life. Hard as it might seem at the time, focusing on what's good -- whether it's appreciating what you still have right in front of you or acknowledging the cliched-but-true notion that things will get better -- will transform whatever you're going through into something that you -- yes, you! -- can actually handle.
Why You Should Embrace the April Showers of Your Life
1. You teach yourself to be positive, no matter what. When you find yourself staying positive through a difficult time, you'll feel amazing. Getting to the point in your life -- or in the way you think about your life -- where you can take a negative situation and see the good in it is one of the best feelings. Embracing the difficult times in your life will, without you even realizing it, teach you to be positive no matter what comes along.
2. You grow stronger with every single storm you weather. With every single difficulty you face in your life, you become a little bit stronger. It's hard to realize this when you're actually going through a tough time, but no matter what the outcome, you gain strength from every hardship. And that's a great reason to embrace the struggles you face in your life. Every single one of them is making you stronger.
3. You need the tough times to bring out the best in your life. I'm sure you've heard it before: "Without the rain, there can be no rainbow." Cliche? Yes. True? Yes! Without the really tough times in your life, it can be hard to appreciate all of the awesome things. It would be great if we could just have awesomeness at all times, but the tough times really do help us to see (and be grateful for) what we have in our lives.
4. You will uncover new things about yourself -- and your life. Another cliche, but true, face is that when you're struggling to make it through a tough time, you'll learn a lot about yourself and your life. When in the midst of a difficult situation, this fact can be hard to wrap your mind around -- but it's one of the greatest things about a tough time. Whether you realize it initially (or years later), you always learn something when you struggle to get through a difficulty.
5. You can be refreshed and revitalized by a spring rain. Just like the flowers begin to bloom after April showers, you too can be refreshed and begin to blossom after a tough time. It might not happen right away, but with time, you will see that any difficulty you've struggled to overcome has left you feeling oddly renewed. Though you may feel beaten down at first (as I'm sure those flowers' stems do when the rains come), you'll eventually begin to show your true colors, blossoming into a new self after the storm has passed.
There are many reasons to doubt the power of an April shower. As someone who seriously dislikes the rain (literally and figuratively), I know how hard it can be to see the benefit behind a downpour -- or even the benefit of a seemingly ageless phrase. But the benefits are there. I've seen them, having found myself nearly drowning in a downpour a time or two and miraculously finding myself stronger, smarter, and more grateful after the storms eventually passed. Difficult as it might seem, you too can find the benefits in whatever storm you're facing. The next time you find yourself faced with a storm in your life, come back to this post and remind yourself that many good things can come from a little rain. The April showers in life might be tough to weather, but waiting on the other side of a rain-soaked time is a serious dose of sunshine -- and a better, stronger you.
How do you weather the April showers in your life?
Have you experienced any of these benefits from weathering
difficult situations in your own life?